Monday, July 16, 2012

Two Vacancies on American Idol's "Supreme Court"

The powers-that-be running American Idol are once again scratching their beds trying to figure out who can fill two vacancies on the popular show's judging panel in time to stay on schedule with auditions and production for Season 12.  Last week, Jennifer Lopez hinted that she might leave the show after two seasons.  Within days, Steven Tyler didn't just hint, he announced that he's done, leaving his "mistress," Idol, to focus on his main love, rock 'n roll.  Translated, his band Aerosmith is #1 in his heart.  Then a day later, JLo came back with a firm, "I'm leaving, too."

The question, now, is -- who should replace them?   

American Idol judges (l-r) Steven Tyler,
Jennifer Lopez and Randy Jackson.
Photo: FOX
I'm really sorry to see Lopez depart.  In terms of legitimate judging, she has been #1 among all the women who have occupied permanent seats on the panel and, I would rank her #2 all-time behind former judge Simon Cowell.  I think her departure hurts and I can't really think of who I would want as her replacement.  Suffice it to say, I'm not impressed by the names that have been floating around. (Mariah Carey, Miley Cyrus, etc.)

I also am sorry to see Tyler leave.  Yes, he is a crazy character but, I like the humor he brought to the show while still giving some decent critiques to the contestants based his passion for music and vast experience fronting a legendary band.  I will miss Tyler (if I return as a viewer next season) but could see his seat being filled by likes of Gene Simmons or Usher, maybe.
But, in addition to finding replacements for the departed Lopez and Tyler, I think it's time for Idol to seek a replacement for the lone remaining original judge, Randy Jackson.  Yes, I realize that at this point, that require Idol to fire him because he hasn't even hinted that he wants to leave, but it's time for him to go.  His "Yo, Dogg," "somebody's in-it-to-win-it" routine is staler than 3-month old bread.

Aspen contestant Magic
Cyclops auditioning for
American Idol.  
Photo: FOX
I think they also need to do something about changing up the audition process.  Amid various changes on the judging panel and tweaks to the competition format, Idol producers have done absolutely nothing to the audition process which has also grown stale.  I would be very happy if they gave me an anthology sampling of all the bad auditions from every site in Week One, then spent the rest of auditions showing me all the legitimate singers trying to get on the show.  I want to see a real SINGING competition.  Stop advancing folks who sound horrible and dissing folks with true potential.  I mean, really! How did a guy named Magic Cyclops (see photo) even make to to the room with Steven, Jennifer and Randy?!?  Yes, some of the joke auditions were funny in the early seasons.  Who could ever forget William Hung singing "She Bangs" (I still laugh myself to tears watching that clip!) or General Larry Platt's hilarious "Pants On The Ground?"

Just my thoughts as someone who has watched all 11 seasons of American Idol.  If they want to hold my attention for Season 12, in the words of Chef Emeril, it's time to "kick it up a notch!"

Oh, Good Evening!

Just for giggles, I couldn't resist including this video clip! I am, literally, ROTFLMBO!!!

No comments: