Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Rising Prices

While watching the midday news this afternoon, I saw a story about a survey of moviegoers in which customers were asked what things would make their movie going experience more enjoyable. The results indicated that 86% want lower ticket prices.

That made me think of a recent trip to an Atlanta theater for an afternoon matinee. I purchased my ticket from the automated machine and when the price popped up on the screen I commented to myself, "whoa, there's no matinee price anymore?" Then I called up an evening showing and quickly realized, "oh, that is the matinee price." The regular ticket price: $9.25! At that point, I gladly paid the $7.25 matinee price to see "Dreamgirls" at 1:15 PM.

Does anybody else remember $4.50 or $5.00 matinees?

Oh, Good Evening!

3 comments:

hizzle said...

man, this is why i don't even go to the movies!

or if i do, it's at someone else's expense! (oh good evening!)

Anonymous said...

I agree that the prices are getting too high. And they wonder why there's such a market for bootleg copies. With today's big screens and sound systems at home it's almost a better experience. Maybe you can do like me and get in for the senior citizen rate. Today's younguns think anyone with some gray hair is over 60!

Unknown said...

Oh, Good Evening! I know what you mean. I bought a senior citizen rate ticket by mistake from the automated machine on time. The young man working the gate couldn't have been more than 15 or 16. When I gave him the ticket, he looked at it then at me and quickly tore off the stub and directed me to my theater.