Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year 2008

If 2008 is to be better than 2007 for me, then I will view my waking up to a view of 4 inches of white precipitation, better known as snow, as a sign that I must embrace doing a few things outside of my normal comfort zone.
No, we did not get even a millimeter of snow in Columbia.  I am ringing in the new year with one of my best friends in the city that gave us the Jackson 5-- Gary, Indiana.  My boy Rudy invited me up to attend a New Year's Eve Party in Chicago and despite my dislike of snow and the potential for it to fall in significant amounts at this time of year in the Midwest, I bought a plane ticket and came anyway.  I'm so glad... (sing the old hymn!)

There is nothing like spending time with good friends, particularly those you don't get to see often, to celebrate life, love, and the joy of good liquor.  (I was just looking for another good "L" word and the Kahlua in my coffee made my type "liquor."

Anyway, for the first time in a looonnnggg time, I have actually awakened to the sight of snow and said, "how pretty!"  We left the party at 3 AM and it was cold as hell--- yes, I know hell is really hot, but the cliche fit!--- and I didn't seem to mind.  Don't get me wrong, I couldn't get to Rudy's Land Rover quick enough to get some heat cranking, but the Chicago wind and all that snow didn't seem to bother me.  I wonder what this means, because those who know me well know I had my fill of snow growing up in Detroit.  Hmmm.  My mother would love it if I someday moved back to Detroit, or at least closer.  Maybe there's hope for her wish.

Oh, Good Evening! 

No comments: