Friday, November 03, 2006

Bless His Soul

Bruce D. Weathersby
1966-2006

About an hour ago, I got a phone call that I prayed I would not receive. "He's gone," Rudy said through tears. The words hit me like a ton of bricks. I was hoping that his words were about someone else. But when Bruce's name came out of my mouth, Rudy said, "yes." I fell into a chair and started sobbing. He died this morning, though I don't know the exact time or circumstances. But it is connected to a series of strokes he suffered in the last few months.

I phoned my job in tears; I phoned my mother in more tears. This really hurts. While I've composed myself enough to write this post, I am still numb.

To my friends who also knew Bruce-- he and I were often attached at the hip-- through encounters at NABJ conventions, Bayou Classic weekends, or just around Jackson, Mississippi, Columbia, South Carolina, Detroit, Michigan, Atlanta, Georgia or elsewhere, please keep Bruce's family in your prayers. I have not spoken with her yet, but I know his mom is beyond devastated which is what I feel.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike, You and Bruce's family are all in my prayers.
V

Anonymous said...

I just recently found out about my dear friend Bruce and am still in denial. I was "busy" with life and had not been communicating with the family. When Bert told me about "her baby" being gone, I did not believe it... until I went to the family home and was faced with reality.

Bruce was a wonderful person. Very warm, caring, loving, honest, and had an open heart. We shared so many good times together. Now, my deepest regret was not being able to spend more time with him.

In my heart, I know he is with the lord watching over us. While I am devasted over his passing and selfishly wish he was still with us, I am happy that Bruce is no longer suffering and in paradise.

My prayers are with his beautiful family who have shown me the real meaning of family and have showered me with love throughout the many years I have known them.

God Bless!

Theresa Crushshon