Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Mother Knows Best

In response to my entry about the trip to Jackson for my best friend Bruce Weathersby's homegoing service, I received the following special note from my mom in Detroit:

Reading your comments about the difficult trip has left me in tears. I am truly sorry you've lost your best friend, Bruce. I do understand your grief.

All I have to say right now is that you must remember you have others in your life who are special friends. One person cannot be everything to us. Each one of our friends is a unique person and brings something special to our lives that not anyone else has the ability or nature to do. Think of each of the people in your circle of friends and what is special about their contribution to your everyday life. I think you'll see that you still have a number of "best friends." You named one of them at the end of your comments.

Just a few words with love from your mother.

Take care, my dear.

As is usually the case, my mother is correct and I knew that. My circle of friends is special. I feel closer to some than others, but I know many of my friends feel close enough to me to reach out in my times of need. I am grateful for each expression of love and concern I have received from my friends over the last few weeks. Many of them had never even met Bruce, yet they could tell how much he meant to me and they just wanted me to know they were praying for him and for me. That's special.

I told Mom that her note helped me realize that in a special-- though painful-- way, Bruce's passing has brought many other members of my circle closer together. We all talked about that over the weekend.

Mom's note helped boost me over an emotional hurdle concerning Bruce. I know there will be others to jump in the days, weeks, months and years to come. But just like the pain from a cut on a finger or a sprain in an ankle eventually goes away as the injury heals, the pain in my heart created by Bruce's passing will eventually go away as the injury heals. And, just like a couple of aspirin tablets can help relieve any minor pain that pops up, my closer relationships with my other "best friends" that Mom described will help keep any recurring pain in check.

Mother always knows best.

Oh, Good Evening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike,

Like you said, mothers do know best and I can truly share in your loss as I had to come to terms with successive losses including my good friend and business associate Monique. I too felt a loss and pain to deep to bear, but someone who had lost their son years before shared with me the blessing that she and others were to my life and it really is about the living and to live your life each day and appreciate all the special people in it. Now, I am a part of the rearing process for the two special people that Monique left behind - her two children. It is for me and her mom to make sure that they know about their mom and to carry on their legacy. I am so blessed to have people in my life like you who are sensitive and compassionate and I too am blessed with a wonderful mother who, out of her love and support of me, took me on vacation so that I would be away for the anniversary of Moniques death and she collapsed in my arms. I realized during that whole experience of getting my mom back home and help her through her recovery just how important each day is and each person is and while I may mourn the loss of family and friends, I spend more time celebrate my own life, taking care of myself and reaching out to those who stand with me and behind me to keep me going.

Bruce touched so many people and so many lives and you are still here to keep his legacy going and to further yours...

Keep the focus, keep the faith!

Love (your other big sister!)

Meta J