Monday, November 06, 2006

Now, That's Lions Football!

On this true bummer of a weekend for me, I broke several of my personal Sunday "man laws" and the Detroit Lions broke, what was feeling like, their usual Sunday trend. I didn't rush home from church to see the kickoff. Normally, I get my praise on and make a beeline for the car to race home in time for the game. On Sunday, I walked in the door as the second quarter was starting. Normally, you won't catch me on the phone during the game. On Sunday, I made several calls-- and even accepted a few-- during the game. I was really only halfway paying attention to this battle between the Lions and the Atlanta Falcons fully expecting that Michael Vick and Crew would do what they did almost a year ago on Thanksgiving Day and dismantle my team.

Guess what? Even the worst of cooks can occasionally produce a culinary delight. The Lions won! The Lions won big. And, they looked pretty good doing it. ATL 14 - DET 30. Detroit's record improves to 2-6.

It seems that Detroit took full advantage of their bye week to come up with the perfect game plan for the Falcons' visit to Ford Field. More importantly, they executed that plan to near perfection.

Jon Kitna throws for 321 yards and a touchdown with only one interception. Kevin Jones racks up 110 yards on 26 carries and scores two touchdowns. Roy Williams has his eighth career 100+ yard performance pulling in 6 receptions for 138 including a 60-yard touchdown catch. Rookie linebacker Ernie Sims records his first career fumble recovery. And, Pro Bowl cornerback Dre' Bly finally gets an interception this season!

This was the bright spot in my otherwise depressing weekend. Now, if we could just find some consistency in racking up wins.

Oh, Good Evening!

No comments: