Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Bumping Bambi

I encountered, what appeared to be, a young deer last night. Considering my love of animals, that would have been great except that I was driving and the deer and was running-- right into my path!

As I gripped the steering wheel and eased off the gas pedal in hopes of not swerving out of control, I heard a slight bump indicating contact and kept rolling until I got to the Shell gas station at Farrow Road and Hardscrabble. I turned into the station and jumped out to survey the damage. At first glance, there were no signs of damage. On closer inspection, I found a piece of molding slightly out of place. Boy, these HUMMERS are truly sturdy! I know my car would have been messed up.

After seeing little damage to the truck and truly feeling sad about the deer, I circled back to see if it was laying in the middle of the road. It was nowhere to be found. But there was another little deer on the side of the road where the first one came from, looking poised to cross the street, too. I, again, circled back, and continued on home.

What is it with deer that they will run out into a street and keep going even though they see a vehicle coming straight at them? Do they have tunnel vision? Are they partially blind? Or, are they just dumb like that?

Bumping Bambi was not fun. I am thankful I apparently did not kill the deer on Farrow Road. I am very thankful my truck suffered little to no damage. And, I'm most thankful for the Seagram's I savored to calm my nerves when I got home!

Oh, Good Evening!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, mike! i usually don't comment on posts, but i have been told for years and years that deer are in the category of "dumb" animals (for lack of a better term) who see but don't understand when objects are coming toward them. Light and cars are foreign to them. I believe that possums are also among these "dumb" animals, and I'm sure (if you're like me) you've run over a few of them in your lifetime. michael k. watts

Anonymous said...

I blow the horn when I encounter deer on the side of the road. The noise usually makes them run back into the woods.

Anonymous said...

Mike,

When Rudolph comes limping in from the north pole next week, nursing a broken hoof, we'll know who to call! LOL

-Brooks G.