Sunday, December 17, 2006

NAIAS '07: Looking Ahead

I am looking forward to my annual trip home to Detroit for the North American International Auto Show. Despite my dislike of cold weather and snow, I willingly brave both each January for this event. It's THE automotive showcase in the world and every car enthusiast should attend, at least once.

As I make plans for the trip, I'm anticipating the many concepts that will be unveiled giving us a glimpse of future models to come from the likes of General Motors, Ford, DaimlerChrysler, and others. Not to mention all the current production models on display, most of them available for visitors to get up close, personal, and a little touchy-feely with. Here are some of the things I'm most looking foward to seeing at NAIAS 2007.

I think HUMMER models rock! I was fortunate to recently have an H1 Alpha for the weekend. I have an H2 and after a test drive, found the H3 to be a fully capable mid-sized SUV worthy of the HUMMER badge. Now, with the H1 Alpha in automotive production heaven, the HUMMER brand is looking to expand its line with more models attractive, and more importantly, affordably available to the mass consumer base. Word is, HUMMER will unveil an H4 concept vehicle at NAIAS aimed at competition with the Jeep Wrangler. The division is also said to be working on an H3 pickup truck, something that has been expected. But spy photos indicate the division is looking at releasing a crew cab configured model which, to me, would be disappointing.
I think a HUMMER pickup truck should be a production version of the H3T concept introduced at the auto show a couple of years ago. HUMMER is a statement brand with "in your face" styling. The crew cab idea is too safe. Go with the H3T! I would also like to see a diesel engine for the H2 and a V6, V8, or both for the H3.

Go HUMMER!

I saw the Buick Enclave concept at last year's auto show and loved it. I told my mother-- whose last five vehicles had been Buicks, the last two, Rendezvous models-- that this would likely be the Rendezvous replacement. She wasn't too excited about that. But, when we went to explore a new vehicle for her in October, the Buick salesman confirmed my prediction. Mom ended up getting the all-new Saturn Aura sedan.

I'm looking forward to seeing the production model of the Enclave and it's corporate siblings, the GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook. These are very good looking crossover vehicles with comfortable looking interiors that include a plethora of passanger and cargo configurations.

With a starting price above $100,000, I don't anticipate being able to buy a brand new Mercedes Benz CL550 Coupe. But I sure look forward to, at least, seeing one up close and personally and possibly sitting in one to dream. That's the beauty of the auto show. The model is so new that we probably won't be able to get in on at this year's show, but next year-- oh, yes!

The Dodge Nitro is a hot new SUV based on a modified Jeep Liberty platform. I've seen a couple of them on the road and they look way cool. Boxy, just like my HUMMER. Distinctive with the trademark Dodge, big mouth grill. And from what I've seen and read, full of cool features to make the vehicle attractive to youthful, active buyers.

Dodge, and its upscale cousin Chrysler, have hit some big homeruns in recent years. Between the two, there are several very desirable models including the Dodge Durango, Chrysler Crossfire, and Chrysler 300C SRT8. I've driven each of those models and they do not disappoint.

I'm not a big Ford Motor Company fan, but the nation's struggling #2 automaker could be on the road to recovery with models like the Ford Edge and Fusion, Lincoln MKX and MKZ. They have very good looks and reviews on their performance aren't bad either. Also, there is talk of a Mustang-based sedan concept. If true, that will be very interesting to see.

I'm also not a big Land Rover fan. But, I do look forward to checking out the new LR2. The entry level SUV replaces the much maligned Freelander here in North America. It also has an estimated starting price tag of $39,000. That would be about $13,000 more than the Freelander. Land Rover did the same thing with the Discovery replacement, LR3. Prices jumped by pole vaulting type figures which seemed to lock out some of the division's customer base. We'll see if the new LR2 is worth that much more than its predecessor.

No comments: