Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Mourning a Michigan Man

I awoke this morning to two pieces of sad news. First, I found my brother's email about his dog, Nala (see previous post). Then, I turned on the television and caught the tail end of a story ESPN was airing about former President Gerald Ford's athleticism. It just seemed odd that they would be running that and I immediately said to myself, "please tell me he isn't gone, too?" I turned to my laptop and Googled "President Ford." The result returned several headlines declaring the former president's passing.

I then went to msnbc.com to read more about the only man from my home state of Michigan to occupy the Oval Office. National Affairs Writer Tom Curry wrote a great piece on President Ford's lasting legacy, which is the appointment of Associate Justice John Paul Stevens to the U. S. Supreme Court. But what grabbed my attention was Curry's description of several headlines from the Ford Administration that for most people older than 32, may be just vague recollections. His words, not mine.

I was six days shy of my 10th birthday when Ford took the oath of office as the 38th President of the United States. I remember those days quite vividly. I was quite intrigued by the Watergate scandal. When the infamous White House Watergate transcripts were published, I read them. I think the fall of Richard Nixon triggered my fascination with the presidency.

I remember watching President Nixon's address to the nation in which he announced his resignation. I remember watching, the following morning, his farewell address to members of his administration and the White House staff. I remember watching Vice President Ford become President Ford. It was all so, fascinating to me then. I don't think I recognized the true significance of what I was witnessing- our constitution at work- but I knew it was important.

I also remember many of the things Curry wrote about as likely vague recollections. The SS Mayaguez incident; Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme's assassination attempt; Sara Jane Moore's assassination attempt. I remember the address to the nation announcing President Nixon's pardon, but I don't remember President Ford testifying before congress. Nor do I remember any of his major policies. I wasn't much into the true politics of the time at that age.

President Ford was special to me because he was a Michigan man. He was raised in Grand Rapids, went to college at the University of Michigan, he played on two national championship winning Wolverine football teams. Elected to 13 terms in Congress. Hand picked by President Nixon to become the nation's 40th Vice President after the resignation of Vice President Spiro Agnew. That was all so cool to me at age 9 growing up in Detroit.

The only man to serve as both vice president and president without having been elected, President Ford spent just over two years in the Oval Office. He dealt with many major issues, not the least of which was helping the nation heal from the black eye of Watergate. I will remember the courage he demonstrated in handling the Watergate affair, pulling out of Vietnam, and negotiating nuclear arms limitations with Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev. I will also remember his loyalty to family and country. His devotion to former first lady Betty Ford and their children is truly admirable. But what I will remember most is President Ford's gentle humanness. Despite the demands of his office, he always found a way- not always intentionally- to show us all that he was still just a man. Tripping down the steps of Air Force One comes to mind often.

58 years of marriage, 4 children, 25 productive years in Congress, 8 months as Vice President, and 2+ years as President. All of it encapsulated within 93 years of meaningful life.

Take your rest, Mr. President. You've earned it.

No comments: