Sunday, December 31, 2006

Whoa! The Lions Win!

Pinch me. I need to make sure I'm not dreaming. Did the Lions actually put 39 points on the scoreboard? They did? Wow! And, those 39 points were enough for the Lions to actually win the game? You're kidding, right? No desperation two-minute drill for the necessary touchdown to tie or win the game? What, that was the Dallas storyline? AMAZING!!!

The Detroit Lions have ended 2006 on high note. The offense finally clicked. Roy Williams was great. Surprise newcomer Mike Furrey was great. Jon Kitna was great. When was the last time I could say that? Even Mike Williams caught a touchdown pass. I must admit, it was rather impressive to watch. Why couldn't they play like that all season long?

All kidding aside, this was a pretty good game to watch. Detroit actually played like a team that knew it could win and knew how to win. The latter had been missing all season. Despite giving up their early 13-0 lead, the Lions stayed in this game and never collapsed. They took advantage of just about everything Dallas gave them, including a fourth quarter fumble that allowed Jason Hanson to kick his fourth field goal of the game and give Detroit extend a five point lead to eight points.

I must admit, I was worried that Dallas would tie the game in the final minutes. Detroit's defense allowed the Cowboys to inch down the field and actually get into the red zone. But, on fourth and goal, quarterback Tony Romo was stopped at the two yard line as he tried to run the ball in on a busted pass play. Game over. Lions win! DET 39-DAL 31.

Okay. Now comes the reality check. With the win today, Detroit finishes the 2006 season with a dismal 3-13 record. That's good for second worst in the NFL, just above the Oakland Raiders 2-14 tally. The Lions remain in the cellar of the NFC and the NFC North. Detroit was 0-6 in the division. They were 1-7 on the road, just 2-6 at home. 1-3 versus AFC opponents, 2-10 versus NFC opponents. There is MUCH work to be done.

When the 2007 season rolls around next September, I won't make the same mistake I made this season. I was excited about 2006 and felt Detroit had a real shot at finishing #2 in the division behind Chicago and earning a Wild Card playoff spot. Next season, I'll go in expecting nothing and hope the team surprises me.

Oh, Good Evening!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the Lions won a game, but why did it have to be against my team?????