Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Excuses, Excuses...

A dear friend, who shall remain nameless, recently suffered a medical setback and is going through what we hope is a temporary disability. He's been to see doctors and is currently going through a physical therapy routine.

It's an extremely frustrating situation for him because he's used to being independent and now relies on others to help him get around. I understand that frustration. He complains, almost daily, that his recovery isn't happening fast enough and that he thinks he should be better by now. I tell him he'll have to have patience. Things aren't going to be back to normal overnight. His mother has been shuttling him back and forth to medical appointments and therapy sessions. He's also been spending most days at his mother's house before returning to his home for the night.

Now-- here's what I don't understand. I was speaking with my friend this morning and found out that he hasn't been taking the medication prescribed for him according to the doctor's order. He is supposed to take the medicine every 12 hours. I asked him why he wasn't taking it like prescribed. His response floored me.

"They don't get me home in time to take the medicine ontime," he told me.

"Why don't you take it with you to your mom's house," I asked.

"Because I only have the use of one hand."

"What does that have to do with you taking the medicine with you?"

"I can't carry everything I have to carry," he said. "My phone, my lip balm," he continued.

Now, here's where I got a little agitated with him. I told him the phone can go on his hip in its holster, the lip balm can go in his pocket, so I again asked, "what does any of that have to do with you taking the medicine with you, which I'm assuming could also go in your pocket?!?!?"

"I just think I should be back home in time to take my medicine."

I say- and I'm sure his doctor would agree- that he should keep the damn medication with him so that wherever he is when he's supposed to take it, he can!!!!!!! (Can you tell I'm not pleased?)

Oh, Good Evening!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. The medicine works the same no matter where he takes it.

Anonymous said...

From someone who lives on Rx Medication, although I'll admit it's not always as directed, it's of the highest importance to take it if you want results. Someone who's dependent on medical treatment can NOT just rely on meds and the doctors to heal them, they ultimately hold responsibilty for their progress... just a thought.
Nuff said... A