Sunday, August 27, 2006

It's Hott in Herre!

I was at a party last night, hosted by well known Columbia attorney I. S. Leevy Johnson and his wife, Doris, to celebrate the special achievement of a friend and colleague, Emmy Award winning WIS News 10 anchor Craig Melvin.

There's nothing quite like good company, good food and drink, and good conversation. In this case, the good food included an appetizing spread of shrimp, beef tenderloin, barbecued pulled pork, fresh strawberries, and more. The good drink included top shelf liquor, margaritas, and pina coladas. The good company included local movers and shakers, young and, well.... also young! I can be really bad with names, but some of the faces I remember include Luther Battiste III, Kelly Seabrook, George and Michelle Johnson, Chris Leevy Johnson, Bryon Gipson, Anton Gunn, Dawndy Mercer, Tara Robertson, Chris Hart, James and Cynthia Bennett, Kerry Abel, Walt Tobin, Tiger Wells, Alan Wilson, Stephanie Ramos, Felicia Smith, Susan Aude', Sharranda Neal, Stephany Snowden, and more! (How in the heck did I get on the invitation list?) This was truly a great way to spend a Saturday night in late August.

Mr. and Mrs. Johnson have a beautiful home, perfect for entertaining. An open and inviting floorplan inside; a lovely and spacious yard outside. There were tables and a bar setup outside, but from the time I arrived-- around 6:45pm (the party started at 6:00pm)-- until the time I departed-- around 9:15pm-- there never seemed to be more than five people in the yard. It seems the humidity and some pesky flying insects known as gnats and mosquitoes made most guests ventures outside short. Everybody was inside and boy were we generating some heat.

At one point, Craig's mother slipped by me saying, "I'm going outside to get some fresh air." To which I replied, "it's just as hot out there as it is in here." But, Miss Betty continued toward the door optimistic that, "it's got to be cooler outside." She couldn't have been out there long because I turned to speak to another friend, posed for a couple of photos, and looked up to find Miss Betty right back-- or still-- in the living room mix.

Kelly Seabrook asked, "is it just me, or is anybody else feeling warm?" And, I remember commenting to Tiger Wells as he was saying his goodbyes, that I was happy not to be the only one walking around periodically wiping beads of sweat off his brow. Of course, none of us was making a bee line for the door to leave. I guess we'll all endure a little heat to enjoy good food, good drink, and good company.

I did joke with Craig that I. S. must have spent so much money on the food and liquor that he couldn't afford to turn on the air conditioner. Craig responded with his distinctive laugh then told me that if people stayed too long, I. S. would turn on the heat, for real, because, "that'll be the only way to get rid of folks!"

Oh, Good Evening!

No comments: