Monday, August 28, 2006

More Idlewild

Most of the professional critics who reviewed "Idlewild" gave it poor marks. One to one-and-a-half stars was the average. Amateur critics-- folks buying tickets to see the film-- seem to like it much more.

Even though I saw the movie at a preview in Indianapolis, I went to the theater and paid to see it again Sunday afternoon so "Idlewild" would get credit for another ticket sold during its opening weekend. (Box office estimates placed "Idlewild" in ninth place with $5.9 million, less than one-fifth of the final production budget.) I went to the Regal Sandhill Stadium 16 cinema where a decent sized audience viewed the 4:15 pm showing. It was clear to me, early on, my fellow audience members were enjoying the film because they were laughing at the jokes, marveling over the effects, and snapping their fingers to the music. Also, when the movie was over, more than half of the audience remained glued to their seats for the initial credits which ran over a music performance by Andre' Benjamin.

On the way out of the theater, it was nice to hear people talking to each other about how much they enjoyed the film. One lady recognized me from the news, said hello and, "wasn't that good?" I spoke to two other people in the parking lot. When I asked them if they enjoyed the movie, the gentleman-- who appeared to be in his 50's-- replied, "I give it an 8 and that's high for me." "It wasn't completely where I thought it should be. A couple of scenes were in there just for show, but it was good," he continued. The woman he was walking with told me, with a big smile on her face, that she really enjoyed it. She also said, "when the critics give it a one, I have to see it." That about sums it up for me, too.

I love going to the movies and over the years, I have found that whenever the critics don't like a film I'm interested in seeing that I end up thinking it's great. At the very least, I leave the theater feeling that I did not waste my money. The enjoyment factor was up to my expectation. For me, that makes a movie good.

Is "Idlewild" an Oscar caliber film? Not really. Though, I can see it garnering a few nominations for things like special effects, costumes, and music soundtrack. And, the music honor is highly possible. Don't be surprised if Andre' and Big Boi are standing on the Kodak Theater stage on February 25, 2007 holding the coveted golden statuette just as Prince did for "Purple Rain" in 1984.

Oh, Good Evening.

No comments: