Tuesday, September 05, 2006

CBS Evening Snooze with Katie Couric

Katie Couric's much anticipated debut as anchor of the CBS Evening News turned out to be exactly what I expected but hoped it wouldn't be-- soft and sappy.

I may as well put it out here-- I have not been a fan of the CBS Evening News since Walter Cronkite retired on March 6, 1981. I was junior in high school and thought Cronkite was the best. Hands down, bar none. Dan Rather didn't do it for me. And neither does Couric.

When I watch newscasts, I need the anchors to be firm, authoritative and in control. What I got from Couric was warm, fuzzy, and limp. There was no urgency in the delivery, let alone the content. At least not the lead story. I watched the first minute or so and quickly reached for the remote control so I could switch to Brian Williams on NBC Nightly News. I gave Couric a second chance and turned back before the end of the newscast only to catch a flashback moment to a CBS newscast from decades ago, a new commentary feature called Free Speech, which on Tuesday featured filmmaker Morgan Spurlock (Super Size Me), and a closing that included a look at famous evening news sign-offs of old-- including those of two fictional anchors-- and Couric asking viewers to send her suggestions for a sign-off that she can use. GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

Soft and sappy doesn't cut it on what should be the Eye's daily newscast of record. What I saw of Tuesday's program felt more like 6o Minutes with a touch of CBS Sunday Morning. For me, it was a real snoozer.

While she waits for viewers to submit sign-off ideas, Couric closed last night's newscast by simply saying, "I'm Katie Couric, thank you so much for watching and I hope to see you tomorrow night." Don't count on it, Katie. I'm sticking with Brian.

Oh, Good Evening.

No comments: