Monday, September 11, 2006

Las Vegas, Here I Come!

I'm getting on a plane Thursday night to fly to Las Vegas. It's my annual trip to visit my father and brother who live there. It's also my annual chance to return to the city in which I briefly lived and worked.

There are some things I do all the time when I visit Las Vegas. I love hanging out on The Strip and checking out the various themed resorts. New York-New York, Paris and Caesar's Palace are my favorites. Also, the premium outlet center is a must visit for fantastic shopping deals. This year, I will also visit GM's new autotainment attraction, The Drive on Sahara at Paradise.

From what I've read, The Drive offers two driving experiences to those who visit. One is a sporty track where you get to drive some of GM's hot muscle cars like the Chevy Corvette, Cadillac CTS-V and Pontiac Solstice through tight curves, and chicanes.

The other track is an off-road experience that allows you to see exactly what the HUMMER H2 and H3 can do. Also, the all-new 2007 Chevy Tahoe and Suburban are available for testing. As a HUMMER driver who has yet to take his vehicle off-roading, I'm looking forward to checking out The Drive so I can find out, first hand, what my vehicle is truly capable of.

Many people have a hard time understanding why anyone would want to drive a HUMMER H2 particularly now that gasoline prices are sky high and the H2's fuel efficiency is basement level low. But if you like rugged vehicles and the prospect of going places that most vehicles can't, the H2 is a dream drive. Of course, I think it's a dream drive on-road, too. The H3, while smaller in size, is the H2's performance equal in virtually every way.


In terms of sheer fun, GM is offering some great options for car enthusiasts. Topping the list is the Corvette. I haven't driven one of these beauties since I was a teenager. Boy, was that a thrill. I think I was 17 or 18, home from school for the summer when one of my father's friends came by in his new, shiny red Corvette. I was literally drooling over the car and I asked the gentleman if he would take me for a ride. His response was, "you know how to drive, go ahead." And, he tossed me the keys. I drove that car around Southfield, Michigan for a good 30 minutes with the biggest grin on my face. When I returned home, it was difficult to give the keys back.

I can't wait to drive one of the latest 'Vettes. I also want to check out the new Pontiac Solstice roadster and the Caddy CTS-V and STS-V. I plan to put the pedal to the metal and DRIVE! I'll let you know how they all perform.

Oh, Good Evening!

(Photos from GM)

No comments: