Friday, September 01, 2006

It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp!

A co-worker walked over to my desk the other day and asked if I had ever seen the movie "Hustle & Flow? " I told him that I had not and had never made viewing it a priority. I didn't think I would enjoy a movie about a pimp from the hood, taking advantage of women, selling drugs, and trying to bum rush his way onto the hip-hop rap scene. Then, my co-worker produces a copy of the DVD and says, "you should give it a look." So I did.

Much to my surprise, I thought it was pretty good. Despite the fact that I'm not much into the rap scene- particularly not the "I came from the hood, where I dealt drugs, pimped women, beat bitches down, and shot up bars, now I'm rappin' about my struggles and gettin' paid for it" rap scene- I couldn't stop watching and before I knew it, the movie was over. I even watched the behind-the-scenes features on the DVD.

Yes, I ended up enjoying "Hustle & Flow" but, I'm still shaking my head over the fact that the song, "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp," won an Academy Award. Is Oscar a pimp?

Oh, Good Evening!

2 comments:

Mystifiedlady said...

When the movie came out I had went to an advance screening. As much as I didn't want to I was really feeling "Whoop that Trick" and "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp." Me and my boy who worked at the creative loafing wwere the only black folks in the theater but we were cracking up watching the white reviewers, etc. bopping their heads.

Unknown said...

LOL! "Whoop that Trick" did have my head moving, too. (I really hate admitting that!)