Friday, September 22, 2006

Gridiron Gang

On August 19th, a special preview screening of Gridiron Gang was held at the 31st Annual National Association of Black Journalists Convention in Indianapolis. Unfortunately, I could not attend because I joined friends at the simultaneous preview screening of Idlewild. So, I had to wait until GG hit theaters in September.

I went to see the film Wednesday night before leaving Atlanta on my way home from vacation. While it's no Oscar contender, it's a good film. I found myself fully engaged in this combination Boyz N The Hood and The Longest Yard movie.

Gang members end up in a California juvenile prison where their two detention officers convince officials to let them start a football program to help instill discipline, commitment and pride in the young men who, up to this point, have known nothing but gang banging and selling drugs.

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson (Walking Tall, Scorpion King) and Xibit (Pimp My Ride) star along with several young newcomers. Gridiron Gang is based on a true story and as the end credits roll, you get to see clips of home video from the real coach and some of the players.

If you like touching drama mixed with some hard hitting football game sequences, you'll love Gridiron Gang. It's a touchdown on my scoreboard.

Oh, Good Evening!

No comments: