Sunday, September 10, 2006

The Season is Underway!

I am back in football heaven! The Lions are hosting the defending NFC Champion Seattle Seahawks at Ford Field and Detroit is wearing their black jerseys. As you can see in the photo, I am appropriately dressed to match. (This is part of my annual ritual. I own home, road, alternate, and throwback jerseys in various forms so that I can be appropriately dressed each week.)

I'm pumped. And, so are the Lions. We're only midway through the second quarter and already, Detroit has blocked two field goal attempts, forced and recovered a fumble, and jumped out to a 3-0 lead, which Seattle just matched by converting their third field goal attempt. Don't get me wrong, I'm not celebrating by any means. But I'm encouraged by the team's intensity. GO LIONS!


UPDATE: LIONS LOSE OPENER
SEA 9 DET 6

While it would be easy for me to say, "same result, different season," it really isn't. Yes, Detroit lost the game, but the defense was awesome, and the offense will blow up as soon as quarterback Jon Kitna gets in sync with his primary receivers. Kevin Jones is showing signs of of the form he had during the second half of his rookie season, and the offensive line looks improved. They just have to get the ball in the end zone!

No time to lick wounds. We go to Chicago next Sunday for an NFC North division matchup against the Bears and it's a must win situation for the Lions. An 0-2 start to the season could be very deflating.

Oh, Good Evening!

No comments: